How does weight loss affect ghrelin?

Marjorie Nolan Cohn

When an overweight or obese person loses weight ghrelin increases for a period of time until your body gets used to being a new lower weight. This is your starvation signal kicking in, it can't be avoided. Although, a dramatic increase in ghrelin and resulting hunger can be minimized if you lose weight slowly, and healthfully.

Manuel Villacorta
Ghrelin (hunger hormone) spikes when we lose weight. Why? Because your body only cares about survival. It wants homeostasis, or the status quo. Your body thinks losing weight is dangerous, so as you start to lose, you need to be extra mindful of your ghrelin function. Your body will fight back if you don't approach weight loss in a steady, sensible way, working with your ghrelin instead of against it. This is a fundamental principle to understand: you have to eat regularly to lose weight.
Eating Free: The Carb-Friendly Way to Lose Inches, Embrace Your Hunger, and Keep Weight Off for Good

Eating Free reveals why the prevailing wisdom on weight loss--low-calorie, no carbs, high-intensity exercise--sharply clashes with the facts of human biology and human nature, setting dieters up for...

Continue Learning about Weight Loss

Weight Loss Podcasts for an Easy Way to Lose
You could lose those pounds -- and then some -- in just 12 weeks with help from your ears. In a study, listening to podcasts that emphasized why achi...
What are some other options to getting on the scale at the doctor's office?
Lauren Streicher, MDLauren Streicher, MD
No one is going to force you to do anything. It's much better to get everything you need done other ...
7 Common Weight Loss Mistakes—and How to Fix Them
7 Common Weight Loss Mistakes—and How to Fix Them7 Common Weight Loss Mistakes—and How to Fix Them7 Common Weight Loss Mistakes—and How to Fix Them7 Common Weight Loss Mistakes—and How to Fix Them
Deborah Wilburn
How Can I Get Back on My Diet After a Slip-Up?