How can I overcome a tendency to gain weight?

Walking (the single best physical activity to stay stress-free) for just an hour a day can slash your genetic predisposition for obesity in half. Walk at least a total of 10,000 steps a day. Start slow, but aim to hit the 10,000 mark within a month or so. You'll be surprised at how easy this becomes. It's even easier if you do it with a workout buddy.

Here's how to step it up even further:
  • Eat plenty of fresh vegetables, fruits, and lean protein.
  • Choose unsaturated fats, such as olive oil.
  • Get enough omega-3 fatty acids a day to equal 900 milligrams. (Take supplements from algae.)
  • Drink plenty of water.
  • Sleep at least 7 hours a night (many folks need 8). It helps keep off extra pounds.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss

Slow Down to Eat Less for Better Weight Control
Do you race to finish every meal like a contestant in Nathan's Famous Hot Dog Eating Contest? If so, slow down and smell the grilled veggies. You'll e...
What are some behavioral strategies I can use to lose weight?
Healthy food choices that are accessible throughout the day can help you lose weight. When sugary an...
6 Weird Reasons You Can’t Lose Weight
6 Weird Reasons You Can’t Lose Weight6 Weird Reasons You Can’t Lose Weight6 Weird Reasons You Can’t Lose Weight6 Weird Reasons You Can’t Lose Weight
Could these surprising things be sabotaging your weight loss?
What Kind of Results Can I Expect from Vanquish Fat Reduction Treatments?