How do I know if Saxenda is right for me?

Saxenda is a newer type of weight loss drug. It is in a class of medications called glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1) receptor agonists. Some GLP-1 drugs are also used to treat diabetes. However, Saxenda is not approved for this use or for people who are taking insulin.

Saxenda may be right for you if you are obese or overweight with type 2 diabetes or other weight-related diseases. Medications for weight management should always be used along with diet and exercise and under the supervision of a qualified doctor.

You may not be able to take Saxenda if you have problems with stomach emptying (gastroparesis), because the drug could make this problem worse.

You should not take Saxenda if you have:
  • severe kidney or liver disease
  • a family history of thyroid cancer or multiple endocrine neoplasia

Continue Learning about Weight Loss

Can't Seem to Lose Weight? This Could Be Why
Go ahead. Blame your hormones for your weight gain. Specifically, blame two appetite hormones we've talked about before: ghrelin, which says, "Time to...
How does the body lose weight?
Troy Taylor, NASM Elite TrainerTroy Taylor, NASM Elite Trainer
The body can only lose weight if it is in a negative energy balance. What this means is you must tak...
30 Amazing Weight Loss Secrets You Must Steal ASAP
30 Amazing Weight Loss Secrets You Must Steal ASAP30 Amazing Weight Loss Secrets You Must Steal ASAP30 Amazing Weight Loss Secrets You Must Steal ASAP30 Amazing Weight Loss Secrets You Must Steal ASAP
These are the only (editor-approved!) tricks you need to lose weight and keep it off. 
At What Time Should I Stop Eating At Night If I Want to Lose Weight?