How do I know if Saxenda is right for me?

Saxenda is a newer type of weight loss drug. It is in a class of medications called glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1) receptor agonists. Some GLP-1 drugs are also used to treat diabetes. However, Saxenda is not approved for this use or for people who are taking insulin.

Saxenda may be right for you if you are obese or overweight with type 2 diabetes or other weight-related diseases. Medications for weight management should always be used along with diet and exercise and under the supervision of a qualified doctor.

You may not be able to take Saxenda if you have problems with stomach emptying (gastroparesis), because the drug could make this problem worse.

You should not take Saxenda if you have:
  • severe kidney or liver disease
  • a family history of thyroid cancer or multiple endocrine neoplasia

Continue Learning about Weight Loss

The 15-Minute Program for Weight Loss
The 15-Minute Program for Weight Loss
Actor/comedian Alec Baldwin started a strict weight-loss plan after learning he was prediabetic. With the help of his wife, Hilaria, Baldwin cut out m...
How much water do I have to drink to help me lose weight?
Alberto Gamboa , NASM Elite TrainerAlberto Gamboa , NASM Elite Trainer
Experts are recommending up to 12 cups (96 ounces) of water a day, but for most people, 8 (64 ounces...
How to Find the Perfect Health Buddy
How to Find the Perfect Health BuddyHow to Find the Perfect Health BuddyHow to Find the Perfect Health BuddyHow to Find the Perfect Health Buddy
Get tips from Dr. Mike Roizen’s latest book, This is YOUR Do-Over.
What Are the Health Benefits of Drinking Matcha Green Tea?