How important is willpower in losing weight?

John Maynard Keynes, the esteemed economist, once wrote that “the difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones.” The myth of change only requiring willpower is one we sorely need to escape from.

This pre-scientific misconception contains a grain of truth within a loaf of nonsense. The grain of truth is that your willpower or commitment does contribute to your success. Believing in your ability to change and acting on that belief raises the probability that you’ll succeed.

However, the loaf of nonsense is that willpower constitutes the only, or even the most effective, ingredient. It’s only one ingredient in the recipe. Much to the contrary, our research shows that resolvers who rely on willpower to the virtual exclusion of the other valuable tools actually fail at a higher rate than everyone else!

What’s more, committing entails more than the mysterious, ineffable “willpower.” Contrary to popular thought, committing actually encompasses a set of identifiable skills that you can develop and practice.

So despite what your mom or Aunt Lily might have told you as a child, willpower is nowhere near sufficient for lasting change -- and it may not even be your most important tool. People who rely solely on willpower set themselves up for failure. Stick with the science and use your willpower as one of many learnable tools that will help you change for good.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss

another reason to spend more time standing
your body might be able to break down fat better if you do this one simple thing : stand more . research from the university of missouri suggests that...
what resistance training exercises can help me lose weight ?
Jonathan PenneyJonathan Penney
All resistance training will assist in losing weight. When you use resistance, you help increase lea...
is a gluten-free diet really a healthy way to take off pounds ?
how can eating soup help me lose weight ?