How is food addiction diagnosed?

Charles J. Sophy, MD
Adolescent Medicine

Food addiction refers to compulsive eating that is unrelated to actual hunger. The person feels compelled to eat even when he/she isn’t hungry. Although it is not considered a recognized addiction it can have a significant impact on a person's life and health. 

Food addicts often have:

• underlying emotional problems
  • Low self-esteem
  • Preoccupation with food
  • Compulsive urge to eat
  • Lying to others about amount of food eaten
  • Inability to stop destructive eating behaviors
  • Eating when feeling depressed
  • Eating different foods when with other people
  • Eating in secret
  • Eating foods despite knowing their negative impact on health
  • Feelings of guilt after eating

Because food addiction has not been officially recognized as a medical condition in the mental health community, no specific guidelines for diagnosis have been created. People who believe they are food addicts can seek help from counselors who will ask questions about their relationship with food. Counselors and psychologists who deal with substance abuse issues may also be able to help with the diagnosis.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss

3 Weight Loss Strategies to Ditch
3 Weight Loss Strategies to Ditch
Every day new patients arrive at my office with a variety of health issues that need to be addressed—and weight problems are close to the top of the l...
What is the weight-loss equation?
Paula GreerPaula Greer
My weight loss equation is simple: MEALMove - You have to move to lose; my motto is a minimum of 10,...
How to Find the Perfect Health Buddy
How to Find the Perfect Health BuddyHow to Find the Perfect Health BuddyHow to Find the Perfect Health BuddyHow to Find the Perfect Health Buddy
Get tips from Dr. Mike Roizen’s latest book, This is YOUR Do-Over.
2 Small Steps to Lose Weight and Trim Your Waist