How can I encourage my overweight teen to lose weight?

Alan Greene, MD
Pediatrics
Weight issues can be touchy and difficult to discuss with a teen. In this video, I will give tips about how to help a teen get healthy.
Kelly Currier
The most effective first step would be to encourage exercise. I'm not sure the age of your son, but if he still gets involved in family activities then I would make this a regular habit. Maybe ask him if he wants to sign up for a competition that you two could train together for. Or maybe there is just a fun physical activity you could suggest doing together. Once he starts moving he will be more inclined to eat well also.
How old is he?? If he is in his teens already he is going to have to have the desire to do it! And he probably won't listen to his parents! There are a few teen weight loss programs that are excellent. One I've had friends experience great results from is TLS Shape-up program. It focuses on low-glycemic eating habits as well as showing how you can incorporate lifestyle changes such as grocery shopping, cooking, peer pressure, physical activity etc.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss

Slow Down to Eat Less for Better Weight Control
Do you race to finish every meal like a contestant in Nathan's Famous Hot Dog Eating Contest? If so, slow down and smell the grilled veggies. You'll e...
How can men increase their chances of success with weight loss?
Dr. Harry Fisch, MDDr. Harry Fisch, MD
Men can increase their chances of success with weight loss if they avoid certain unhealthy foods lik...
How to Find the Perfect Health Buddy
How to Find the Perfect Health BuddyHow to Find the Perfect Health BuddyHow to Find the Perfect Health BuddyHow to Find the Perfect Health Buddy
Get tips from Dr. Mike Roizen’s latest book, This is YOUR Do-Over.
How Does Negative Self Talk Affect Me?
How Does Negative Self Talk Affect Me?