How effective is the combination of naltrexone and bupropion?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

In a large study, 42% of people taking Contrave for a year lost at least 5% of their starting weight. In other large studies, people taking Contrave for a year along with an intensive behavior modification program lost an average of 11.5% of their starting weight. By comparison, people taking a placebo along with the same behavior modification program lost 7.3% of their starting weight. 

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor. 

Continue Learning about Weight Loss

Slimmer Together: Beat Marriage Weight Gain
You gain a lot when you get married–love, companionship, fun between the sheets, a family, someone to share your dreams. But a study highlights a not-...
Why don't I lose weight when I gain muscle from exercising?
To gain weight whether it be muscle or fat the body needs to consume more calories than it burns. If...
8 Ways to Lose Weight and Improve Cholesterol
8 Ways to Lose Weight and Improve Cholesterol8 Ways to Lose Weight and Improve Cholesterol8 Ways to Lose Weight and Improve Cholesterol8 Ways to Lose Weight and Improve Cholesterol
Slimming down can do wonders for your waistline and your cholesterol levels.
Can a Change in Body Weight Actually Prevent Diabetes?