Can I become addicted to chocolate?

Only in jest. Although chocolate contains stimulating compounds like caffeine, as well as others that induce pleasure, the amount of these is too small to induce a drug-like jolt. Any hormones the body releases artificially as the result of the compounds in chocolate or any other drug cause the body to stop releasing those hormones for a while to return to equilibrium. As a result, the more chocolate you eat - or caffeine you drink - the more desensitized you become to its effects.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss

Slimming Secret: Tap Your Foot
Slimming Secret: Tap Your Foot
Having trouble getting back to healthier eating habits after all the holiday cooking? Tapping your foot could help keep the extra calories from expand...
Will having an active job help me lose weight?
Howard E. Lewine, MDHoward E. Lewine, MD
To lose weight, you need to burn more calories than you take in. If you have a very active job, it i...
14 Easy Ways to Burn 100 Calories
14 Easy Ways to Burn 100 Calories14 Easy Ways to Burn 100 Calories14 Easy Ways to Burn 100 Calories14 Easy Ways to Burn 100 Calories
Halt Hunger With Milk, Olive Oil and Water