Why does my body resist my efforts to lose weight?

What people think as their body resisting to lose weight is far from the truth. Bottom line if you burn more calories than you take in you will lose weight. However, most people don't even track how many calories they take in or what the are actually burning. People will say I eat healthy but what does that really mean? Remember even a healthy person can overeat if they don't know how many calories they are taking in. When I get my clients to track what they take in a lot of them are surprised on how many calories they really do eat. So first, you need to track your calories like on a meal-tracking program. Dotfit offers a great way to do this and is easy to use. Second, use a calorie tracking device like the exerspy. It simply fits around your arm and will track all the calories you burn in a day, how many steps you take, and can even track your sleep patterns. So what you need to do is just hold yourself accountable to knowing what your body is doing and what you are taking in.
The key word here is “seems” because no one fails to lose weight when you take in fewer calories than you burn. Meaning, everyone loses weight at exactly the same rate when the calorie deficit (difference between calorie intake and calories burned) is equal – those are the facts.
All that said, it may be more difficult for you to take in fewer calories than you burn compared to others or when you were younger, which makes you seem resistant to weight loss. Differences in appetite, stress, emotions, motivation or the desire to move (whether it be exercise or daily activities) are the reasons some people succeed and others struggle. At the end of the day if you can put 3-things together you have your best chance of succeeding:
  1. Know it’s all about calories in and out. This means you also have to know how much you can consume to lose weight by knowing how many you burn (at least in the beginning).
  2. Measure/weigh-in at least once a week and any time weight loss stops or slows dramatically; eat fewer calories (i.e. smaller portions of what you eat); move more (exercise, stand instead of sit when you can or increase any daily activities), or a combination of the two
  3. Find something important to motivate you to continue to your goal.
Final note: ANY TIME you stop losing weight during attempts (whether you count calories or not) you must simply eat less, move more or a combination of both no matter who you are, what you read or someone (and I mean anyone) tells you.
Pam Grout
Alternative & Complementary Medicine

Your body is an extremely wise and efficient machine. When it doesn't get the food it's used to, red lights go off and it thinks, "Famine ahead, better stock up." So it slows down your metabolism and starts storing fat.

So not only does dieting not work but it makes your body even more prone to fat than it was when you started the diet in the first place. Dieters are literally draining themselves - not only physically, but mentally (self-esteem suffers every time you attempt a diet and fail), spiritually (worshiping calories and fat grams replaces love and joy), and financially.

Jumpstart Your Metabolism: How To Lose Weight By Changing The Way You Breathe

If you've tried every conceivable combination of diet and exercise and still can't shed those extra pounds, then perhaps you haven't discovered the hidden key to weight loss -- proper breathing. By...

Continue Learning about Weight Loss