Are all food addicts fat?

Many food addicts are overweight, but not all of them; you can have an emotional preoccupation with food without overeating. Watch as I explain how food addiction and being heavy don't always go hand in hand.
Marjorie Nolan Cohn

No, the concept of food addiction is subjective. And there is no formal diagnosis of "Food Addiction." However, for those individuals that struggle with binge eating, or compulsive eating, obesity is common. Food addiction is generally associated with foods such as breads, starch, carbs, sweets, and desserts. When someone considerers themself a food addict they are unable to stop themself from eating large amounts of the addicted foods, this does often lead to weight gain and obesity.

Brad Lamm
Addiction Medicine
Obesity isn't the only hallmark of food addiction. Some of the people suffering from food addiction are thin -- dangerously so. It's a disease that takes many forms and centers first and foremost around a feeling of control -- losing and trying to regain it in a harrowing cycle of abuse of the body, soul and spirit.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss

Journaling Your Diet Could Double Your Weight Loss
Got $2 and 10 minutes? That's all you may need to double your weight loss on your next diet, triple the odds you'll stick with that new Zumba routine,...
Which weight-loss products are a waste of money?
Jeff Croswell , NASM Elite TrainerJeff Croswell , NASM Elite Trainer
Well I am going to go out on a limb and say all of them.  Now some people might disagree with me but...
How to Find the Perfect Health Buddy
How to Find the Perfect Health BuddyHow to Find the Perfect Health BuddyHow to Find the Perfect Health BuddyHow to Find the Perfect Health Buddy
Get tips from Dr. Mike Roizen’s latest book, This is YOUR Do-Over.
How Do Barriatric Surgeries Actually Cause You to Eat Less?