Will I have a say in what type of weight loss surgery I get?

Keith Kreitz, MD
Bariatric Medicine
You will absolutely have a say in what type of weight loss surgery you get. Doctors usually start off with an encounter to find out what your experience is and what you are looking for in particular. A lot of times, people have had friends or family that had a particular procedure, or they have done a little research and thought, "This one just looks right to me. I just feel good about this. This is something I could do with my body and I can appreciate it."

Then you will discuss your medical problems and other things like history of smoking or addiction. Those things are important because they can make one surgery or another surgery a better fit for you.

Then the doctor will examine you and explain which procedure fits best for you and why. If you're really healthy and just struggling to lose weight, you may have a couple of choices. Then the decision is up to you.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified healthcare provider.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Procedures and Surgeries

Weight Loss Procedures and Surgeries

Weight Loss Procedures and Surgeries

Weight loss surgery procedures, including liposuction, gastric bypass, gastric botox and Lap Band surgery are viable options for those needing help with excessive weight loss. But they aren't without their risks. Weight loss surge...

ry procedures should only be performed on individuals for whom regular diet, exercise and medication didn't prove effective. Check out the answers below for more information on how weight loss surgery has advanced over time and which one might be best for you.