Will I have a say in what type of weight loss surgery I get?

Keith Kreitz, MD
Bariatric Medicine
You will absolutely have a say in what type of weight loss surgery you get. Doctors usually start off with an encounter to find out what your experience is and what you are looking for in particular. A lot of times, people have had friends or family that had a particular procedure, or they have done a little research and thought, "This one just looks right to me. I just feel good about this. This is something I could do with my body and I can appreciate it."

Then you will discuss your medical problems and other things like history of smoking or addiction. Those things are important because they can make one surgery or another surgery a better fit for you.

Then the doctor will examine you and explain which procedure fits best for you and why. If you're really healthy and just struggling to lose weight, you may have a couple of choices. Then the decision is up to you.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified healthcare provider.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Procedures and Surgeries

Bariatric Surgery Doubles Older Guys Survival Rates
Since Governor Chris Christie of New Jersey shut down his internal food lane with bariatric lap-band surgery, his actual...
Do the benefits of weight loss surgery outweigh the risks?
Dr. Robin Miller, MDDr. Robin Miller, MD
With obesity dangers such as cancer, diabetes, heart disease and stroke, it is clear that the benefi...
4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery
4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery
Find out what to expect from bariatric surgery, including gastric bypass, lap band, sleeve gastrectomy and intragastric balloon, if you just can’t los...
Am I a Candidate for Weight Loss Surgery?