Why do I need to stop smoking if I am having bariatric surgery?

Smokers have a greater risk of having respiratory or breathing problems during and after surgery. Patients should stop smoking for elective cases a minimum of three weeks before to help decrease the risk of pneumonia and other breathing issues after surgery. 
Frank T. Leone, MD
Pulmonary Disease
Anyone who smokes knows they should stop. But quitting smoking is especially important for people considering bariatric surgery. The guidelines for bariatric surgery require people to quit smoking 60 days prior to surgery.

The health consequences of smoking are well known and well documented, but these dangers are amplified for people with obesity. Along with the associated higher risk for cancer, heart disease and stroke, smoking increases the risks associated with surgery, including anesthesia-related complications, infections, heart attack, stroke, pneumonia and death. It also slows down healing time by narrowing blood vessels, restricting blood flow to the surgical site.

Smoking after bariatric surgery puts people at significantly higher risk for a host of complications, such as ulceration of the gastric pouch, gastritis, infection and increased shortness of breath.

However, the health benefits of smoking cessation occur almost immediately and have a long-lasting impact.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Procedures and Surgeries

Post Weight-loss Surgery Nutrition
Post Weight-loss Surgery Nutrition
If you’re one of the 250,000 people in North America who had weight-loss surgery last year, it’s important to avoid nutritional deficiencies that can ...
Should patients take vitamin supplements following weight-loss surgery?
Rodrick D. McKinlay, MDRodrick D. McKinlay, MD
Yes, after weight loss surgery you must take vitamin/mineral supplements every day for the rest of y...
4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery
4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery
Find out what to expect from bariatric surgery, including gastric bypass, lap band, sleeve gastrectomy and intragastric balloon, if you just can’t los...
Am I a Candidate for Weight Loss Surgery?