Why should I consider having weight loss surgery if I am obese?

Paul R. Kemmeter, MD
Surgery
People may be afraid of weight loss surgery, but that approach is wrong: If you do nothing, you're at significant risk for heart disease. You have to do something to control the obesity and to treat it. Learn more about what surgery means and how safe it can be. People should know that surgeries aren't what they even were five or 10 years ago. There have been such incredible advancements, including remarkably quick recoveries. People only stay in hospital for a few days -- and sometimes just 24 hours. Surgery for obesity is much, much safer now than in the past.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified healthcare provider.
Patients who are morbidly or severely obese are at increased risk for health problems and tend to have a shortened life span. There is also added potential risk from continued weight increase. The risk of severe obesity is greater than that of its surgical treatments. Persons eligible for weight loss surgery include the following:
  • Persons at least 100 pounds above ideal body weight.
  • Persons who are at least 80 pounds overweight and have
          life-threatening obesity-related problems such as diabetes,
          hypertension, sleep apnea, etc.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Procedures and Surgeries

Is Weight Loss Surgery Right for You?
Is Weight Loss Surgery Right for You?
Many people view weight loss surgery the way they view steroids in sports: They think it's cheating, it's unnatural, it's an unfair advantage, it's cu...
How much can weight loss surgery improve my health?
Melissa B. Bagloo, MDMelissa B. Bagloo, MD
The degree of improvement of various obesity-related problems after weight loss surgery depends on t...
4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery
4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery
Find out what to expect from bariatric surgery, including gastric bypass, lap band, sleeve gastrectomy and intragastric balloon, if you just can’t los...
Am I a Candidate for Weight Loss Surgery?