Why should I consider having weight loss surgery if I am obese?

Dr. Melissa B. Bagloo, MD
Bariatric Medicine (Obesity Medicine) Specialist

Patients who are morbidly or severely obese are at increased risk for health problems and tend to have a shortened life span. There is also added potential risk from continued weight increase. The risk of severe obesity is greater than that of its surgical treatments. Persons eligible for weight loss surgery include the following:

• Persons at least 100 pounds above ideal body weight.
  • Persons who are at least 80 pounds overweight and have life-threatening obesity-related problems such as diabetes, hypertension, sleep apnea, etc.
Dr. Paul R. Kemmeter, MD

People may be afraid of weight loss surgery, but that approach is wrong: If you do nothing, you're at significant risk for heart disease. You have to do something to control the obesity and to treat it. Learn more about what surgery means and how safe it can be. People should know that surgeries aren't what they even were five or 10 years ago. There have been such incredible advancements, including remarkably quick recoveries. People only stay in hospital for a few days -- and sometimes just 24 hours. Surgery for obesity is much, much safer now than in the past.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Procedures and Surgeries

The Bonus Benefits of Bariatric Surgery
The Bonus Benefits of Bariatric Surgery
During the Gold Rush of the 1840s and 50s pioneers in wagon trains littered the Oregon Trail, especially in western Kansas and Colorado, with clothes,...
Who is a good candidate for the balloon procedure for weight loss?
Michael A. Snyder, MDMichael A. Snyder, MD
Good candidates for the balloon procedure for weight loss are those who have a BMI of 30-40, or thos...
Dispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery Myths
Dispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery MythsDispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery MythsDispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery MythsDispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery Myths
We're separating fact from fable when it comes to bariatric surgery.
Am I a Candidate for Weight Loss Surgery?