Which weight loss surgery is the safest?

The safest bariatric surgery is the gastric sleeve.

The lap band is the easiest weight loss operation to perform and therefore the safest. This surgery involves no cutting of tissue and its associated risks.

All the common weight loss surgery procedures have become fairly safe, compared to 15 or 20 years ago. Among them, the lap band surgery has the lowest risk. However, possible complications include slippage of the band, wearing away (erosion) or infection after having the band for a long time.

The gastric sleeve is fairly safe both in the short and long term.

Gastric bypass has a slightly higher complication rate (less than 5 percent) but allows you to lose more weight and better treat any related medical problems.

The duodenal switch provides excellent weight loss and treatment of associated problems but it associated with a higher risk of complications. The revisional procedures also have more risks (but they are still less than 8 to 10 percent).

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Procedures and Surgeries

Bariatric Surgery Doubles Older Guys Survival Rates
Since Governor Chris Christie of New Jersey shut down his internal food lane with bariatric lap-band surgery, his actual...
What should I know before getting gastric sleeve surgery?
Marina S. Kurian, MDMarina S. Kurian, MD
Before gastric sleeve surgery, patients are informed of the risks and benefits, and told of the shor...
4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery
4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery
Find out what to expect from bariatric surgery, including gastric bypass, lap band, sleeve gastrectomy and intragastric balloon, if you just can’t los...
Am I a Candidate for Weight Loss Surgery?