What is stomach surgery for weight loss?

Stomach surgery, also known as bariatric surgery, is an option to promote weight loss for those who are severely obese.

These surgeries use different techniques to reduce the size of the stomach. After the surgery, a person should feel fuller faster, eats less, and loses weight. These surgeries help battle obesity by altering the body's digestion and absorption of food.

Keep in mind, all forms of weight-loss surgery are major procedures that can lead to serious risks and side effects. Patients must also make permanent changes to diet and adopt regular exercise to help ensure the success of bariatric surgery.

Gastric bypass and Laparoscopic gastric banding are the most common weight-loss surgeries.

Laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding is the most common "restrictive" surgery and can lead to a loss of about 40% of excess weight, on average. Gastric banding is considered the least invasive weight-loss surgery. The procedure can be reversed if necessary. Over time, the stomach generally returns to its normal size.
Rose Reisman
Stomach surgery is the most serious of surgical procedures and is recommended only for someone who is seriously or morbidly obese. Al Roper on the Today show lost his weight after stomach surgery. The usual procedure is stomach stapling, which reduces the size of your stomach and bypasses a large area of the small intestine. This can bring incredible results over time. Since you can only eat small amounts of food, the weight loss is dramatic.
Rose Reisman's Secrets for Permanent Weight Loss: With 150 Delicious and Healthy Recipes for Success

For the journey toward healthier living. Losing weight can be a constant and frustrating struggle. Rose Reisman's Permanent Weight Loss Solutions creates a blueprint for lifelong weight control that...

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Procedures and Surgeries

Is Weight Loss Surgery Right for You?
Is Weight Loss Surgery Right for You?
Many people view weight loss surgery the way they view steroids in sports: They think it's cheating, it's unnatural, it's an unfair advantage, it's cu...
Will I have a say in what type of weight loss surgery I get?
Keith Kreitz, MDKeith Kreitz, MD
You will absolutely have a say in what type of weight loss surgery you get. Doctors usually start of...
Dispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery Myths
Dispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery MythsDispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery MythsDispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery MythsDispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery Myths
We're separating fact from fable when it comes to bariatric surgery.
Am I a Candidate for Weight Loss Surgery?