What are restrictive weight loss surgeries?

Examples of restrictive weight loss surgeries are the gastric band and gastric sleeve. These surgeries work by decreasing (or restricting) the amount of food the stomach can hold.

The gastric band uses a silicone band around the top of the stomach. It is attached to a port just underneath your skin. Your doctor can reach this using a needle during an office visit to adjust the band and help limit how much food your stomach can hold.

Gastric sleeve surgery removes about 8 percent of your stomach, leaving you with a long-sleeve-shaped stomach than can only hold about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of food. The procedure also affects the hunger hormone ghrelin, which helps many people to rarely ever feel hungry.

Restrictive weight loss surgeries are lap band and gastric sleeve procedures. These procedures make the stomach smaller.

Restrictive weight loss surgeries are surgeries that allow you to lose weight by restricting the amount of food you eat. Examples of restrictive weight loss surgeries include the gastric band, gastric balloon and sleeve gastrectomy.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Procedures and Surgeries

The Bonus Benefits of Bariatric Surgery
The Bonus Benefits of Bariatric Surgery
During the Gold Rush of the 1840s and 50s pioneers in wagon trains littered the Oregon Trail, especially in western Kansas and Colorado, with clothes,...
How should I prepare for bariatric surgery?
Good Samaritan HospitalGood Samaritan Hospital
A psychological exam is required for anyone undergoing bariatric surgery. A mental health specialist...
Dispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery Myths
Dispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery MythsDispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery MythsDispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery MythsDispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery Myths
We're separating fact from fable when it comes to bariatric surgery.
Am I a Candidate for Weight Loss Surgery?