What is the recovery time after bariatric surgery?

Most patients who have weight loss surgery spend one night in the hospital. Most will return to work two weeks following surgery. Our surgeons encourage you to get back into your life as quickly as possible for optimal recovery following a band, sleeve gastrectomy, gastric bypass or duodenal switch procedure.

Depending on the type of work you're returning to, your bariatric (weight loss) surgery recovery time can vary. Most people can expect to be out of work for about a week.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Procedures and Surgeries

Post Weight-loss Surgery Nutrition
Post Weight-loss Surgery Nutrition
If you’re one of the 250,000 people in North America who had weight-loss surgery last year, it’s important to avoid nutritional deficiencies that can ...
How safe is bariatric surgery for weight loss?
MountainView HospitalMountainView Hospital
Bariatric surgery for weight loss is very safe. The risks of this surgery may be outweighed by the r...
4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery
4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery
Find out what to expect from bariatric surgery, including gastric bypass, lap band, sleeve gastrectomy and intragastric balloon, if you just can’t los...
Am I a Candidate for Weight Loss Surgery?