What is the process leading up to weight-loss surgery?

First, the patient will have a private consultation with one of our bariatric surgeons. The surgeon will discuss the benefits and risks of surgery, and answer questions. The patient will be asked about previous diet and exercise attempts, health history, medical problems and goals. These steps help to determine if the operation is best for the patient.  
Next, patients go through the preoperative process, or preparation for surgery. This step may include medical testing, processing medical necessity letters and a psychological evaluation. The education process is ongoing, and patients are required to attend an education session to learn about the changes that will take place in their body.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Procedures and Surgeries

The Bonus Benefits of Bariatric Surgery
The Bonus Benefits of Bariatric Surgery
During the Gold Rush of the 1840s and 50s pioneers in wagon trains littered the Oregon Trail, especially in western Kansas and Colorado, with clothes,...
How do I talk to my doctor about weight loss surgery?
Mohsin Q. Soliman, MDMohsin Q. Soliman, MD
To talk to your doctor about weight loss surgery, simply express to your doctor your inability to su...
Dispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery Myths
Dispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery MythsDispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery MythsDispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery MythsDispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery Myths
We're separating fact from fable when it comes to bariatric surgery.
Am I a Candidate for Weight Loss Surgery?