What are the disadvantages of bariatric surgery for obese women with PCOS?

Daniel A. Dumesic, MD
Reproductive Endocrinology
Bariatric surgery for obese women with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is a double-edged sword. This is because their profound weight loss is associated with tremendous shifts in their metabolism -- including the potential loss of critical fat-soluble vitamins. So it is recommended that surgery should be performed and conception be delayed for one full year, until the nutritional status of the woman is appropriate to sustain a normal pregnancy. This is an important feature, particularly when dealing with individuals in the latter part of their 30s who are trying to balance conception with adequate health.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Procedures and Surgeries

The Bonus Benefits of Bariatric Surgery
The Bonus Benefits of Bariatric Surgery
During the Gold Rush of the 1840s and 50s pioneers in wagon trains littered the Oregon Trail, especially in western Kansas and Colorado, with clothes,...
Will my insurance cover weight loss surgery?
MountainView HospitalMountainView Hospital
Most national insurance companies do cover weight loss surgery, but they have many requirements befo...
Dispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery Myths
Dispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery MythsDispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery MythsDispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery MythsDispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery Myths
We're separating fact from fable when it comes to bariatric surgery.
Am I a Candidate for Weight Loss Surgery?