What's the difference between open and laparoscopic weight loss surgery?

The open approach to weight loss surgery involves an 8 to 10 inch incision to open the abdomen and perform the surgery in open view of the surgical team. The laparoscopic approach creates five or six small incisions (1/4 or 1/2 inches long) instead of the one larger incision. In the laparoscopic method, a small fiberoptic tube (the laparoscope), connected to a video camera, is inserted through the small abdominal incisions. This gives the surgeon a magnified view of the patient's internal organs on a television screen next to the operating table. The entire operation is performed inside the abdomen, after gas has been used to expand it, with the instruments inserted through the various small incisions.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Procedures and Surgeries

Bariatric Surgery Doubles Older Guys Survival Rates
Since Governor Chris Christie of New Jersey shut down his internal food lane with bariatric lap-band surgery, his actual...
What can plastic surgeons do to help body changes after bariatric surgery?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
As board certified plastic surgeons, we see patients who are left with massive amounts of skin throu...
Dispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery Myths
Dispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery MythsDispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery MythsDispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery MythsDispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery Myths
We're separating fact from fable when it comes to bariatric surgery.
Am I a Candidate for Weight Loss Surgery?