What are the benefits of bariatric surgery for morbid obesity?

The benefits of bariatric (weight-loss) surgery for morbid obesity are many, and research continues to evolve positively on this topic. Bariatric surgery tames hunger, enabling people to feel satisfied with small amounts of food. It helps to eliminate or prevent many medical problems, and improves mobility, energy, self-image and the ability to lead an active life. When accompanied by sensible behavioral changes of prudent nutritional choices and regular exercise, people who have had bariatric surgery achieve and maintain greater than 50 percent of excess weight loss for 10 years and longer.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Procedures and Surgeries

The Bonus Benefits of Bariatric Surgery
The Bonus Benefits of Bariatric Surgery
During the Gold Rush of the 1840s and 50s pioneers in wagon trains littered the Oregon Trail, especially in western Kansas and Colorado, with clothes,...
Who should consider bariatric surgery?
Methodist Specialty and Transplant HospitalMethodist Specialty and Transplant Hospital
Someone who is overweight and not having luck with diet and exercise might be a candidate for bariat...
Dispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery Myths
Dispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery MythsDispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery MythsDispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery MythsDispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery Myths
We're separating fact from fable when it comes to bariatric surgery.
Am I a Candidate for Weight Loss Surgery?