What are the side effects of bariatric surgery?

Side effects of bariatric surgery depend on what specific surgery was done. Immediately after bariatric surgery, side effects include pain and a risk of complications, such as infection and poor healing outcomes. Long term side effects include specific vitamin deficiencies and diarrhea (known as "dumping syndrome") if the person doesn't stick to the recommended post-bariatric surgery diet.
Each of the different bariatric (weight loss) surgeries have different side effects. One of the most common (and beneficial) ones is weight loss.

A not-so-positive side effect is the potential to become low in nutrients if vitamin/mineral supplements are not taken each day.

Another one is dumping syndrome. This can happen if you:
  • eat foods that are not within your post-surgery diet plan
  • drink liquids with your meals
  • eat too quickly
If you follow the diet and supplement guidelines, you will be less likely to have either of these negative side effects.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Procedures and Surgeries

Post Weight-loss Surgery Nutrition
Post Weight-loss Surgery Nutrition
If you’re one of the 250,000 people in North America who had weight-loss surgery last year, it’s important to avoid nutritional deficiencies that can ...
Why should I visit a weight loss surgeon?
Rose Medical CenterRose Medical Center
Wanting to lose weight and improve your health are reasons to see a weight loss surgeon. Wanting a l...
Dispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery Myths
Dispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery MythsDispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery MythsDispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery MythsDispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery Myths
We're separating fact from fable when it comes to bariatric surgery.
Am I a Candidate for Weight Loss Surgery?