Should I have bariatric surgery if I am at risk of losing my hair?

The fear of temporary losing your hair should not deter you from bariatric surgery or losing weight. Losing hair can be distressing, as our hair is an important part of our self-image and body image. Fortunately, after bariatric surgery hair loss is usually just a temporary condition.  Losing weight goes a long way when it comes to your health, including lowering blood pressure, cholesterol and triglyceride levels, preventing or reversing diabetes and resolving sleep problems. Speak to your surgeon to learn more about different surgical options and tips about mitigating hair loss.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified healthcare provider.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Procedures and Surgeries

Weight Loss Procedures and Surgeries

Weight Loss Procedures and Surgeries

Weight loss surgery procedures, including liposuction, gastric bypass, gastric botox and Lap Band surgery are viable options for those needing help with excessive weight loss. But they aren't without their risks. Weight loss surge...

ry procedures should only be performed on individuals for whom regular diet, exercise and medication didn't prove effective. Check out the answers below for more information on how weight loss surgery has advanced over time and which one might be best for you.