What instructions should I follow at home after my bariatric surgery?

Your surgeon’s office will have detailed instructions for the post-operative diet and recovery period. Often, patients’ are asked to maintain a pureed diet in the immediate weeks after surgery. This will allow for recovery of the patients’ tissues while allowing for appropriate nutritional intake. In addition to a pureed diet, it is often necessary to supplement your intake with liquid high protein shakes to allow for adequate protein intake after your operation. During this time, you will also be asked to start your supplementation of vitamins and minerals. This will often include a multivitamin, iron, calcium and vitamin B 12. You may also be asked to take a proton pump inhibitor (Nexium, Prilosec) and a medication to prevent gallstones (Actigall) during your recovery period. All medications should be taken in liquid format or crushed while recovering.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Procedures and Surgeries

Post Weight-loss Surgery Nutrition
Post Weight-loss Surgery Nutrition
If you’re one of the 250,000 people in North America who had weight-loss surgery last year, it’s important to avoid nutritional deficiencies that can ...
How has weight loss surgery advanced?
St. Mark's HospitalSt. Mark's Hospital
Weight loss surgery has advanced in a number of ways. Many years ago, weight loss surgery was done t...
4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery
4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery
Find out what to expect from bariatric surgery, including gastric bypass, lap band, sleeve gastrectomy and intragastric balloon, if you just can’t los...
Am I a Candidate for Weight Loss Surgery?