What instructions should I follow at home after my bariatric surgery?

Your surgeon’s office will have detailed instructions for the post-operative diet and recovery period. Often, patients’ are asked to maintain a pureed diet in the immediate weeks after surgery. This will allow for recovery of the patients’ tissues while allowing for appropriate nutritional intake. In addition to a pureed diet, it is often necessary to supplement your intake with liquid high protein shakes to allow for adequate protein intake after your operation. During this time, you will also be asked to start your supplementation of vitamins and minerals. This will often include a multivitamin, iron, calcium and vitamin B 12. You may also be asked to take a proton pump inhibitor (Nexium, Prilosec) and a medication to prevent gallstones (Actigall) during your recovery period. All medications should be taken in liquid format or crushed while recovering.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Procedures and Surgeries

Weight Loss Procedures and Surgeries

Weight Loss Procedures and Surgeries

Weight loss surgery procedures, including liposuction, gastric bypass, gastric botox and Lap Band surgery are viable options for those needing help with excessive weight loss. But they aren't without their risks. Weight loss surge...

ry procedures should only be performed on individuals for whom regular diet, exercise and medication didn't prove effective. Check out the answers below for more information on how weight loss surgery has advanced over time and which one might be best for you.