How should I follow up with my doctor after bariatric surgery?

Follow up after bariatric surgery is important and should not be disregarded. Early on after surgery, your surgeon will want to see you to ensure that your recovery is going well. After the initial recovery period, follow up for the gastric bypass and sleeve will be necessary every few months to ensure that you are progressing well. Additionally, blood work will be necessary to ensure that you are maintaining an adequate nutritional status. After the first year, follow up on an annual basis is necessary to ensure that these levels are maintained appropriately. Follow up for the adjustable gastric band is more rigorous and occurs on a monthly basis to determine the appropriate band adjustment for each patient. Once the appropriate adjustment has been reached, follow up occurs on an annual basis to ensure that there are no complications with the band and that appropriate nutrition is maintained.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Procedures and Surgeries

The Bonus Benefits of Bariatric Surgery
The Bonus Benefits of Bariatric Surgery
During the Gold Rush of the 1840s and 50s pioneers in wagon trains littered the Oregon Trail, especially in western Kansas and Colorado, with clothes,...
Will my insurance cover weight loss surgery?
MountainView HospitalMountainView Hospital
Most national insurance companies do cover weight loss surgery, but they have many requirements befo...
Dispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery Myths
Dispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery MythsDispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery MythsDispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery MythsDispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery Myths
We're separating fact from fable when it comes to bariatric surgery.
Am I a Candidate for Weight Loss Surgery?