How should I follow up with my doctor after bariatric surgery?

Follow up after bariatric surgery is important and should not be disregarded. Early on after surgery, your surgeon will want to see you to ensure that your recovery is going well. After the initial recovery period, follow up for the gastric bypass and sleeve will be necessary every few months to ensure that you are progressing well. Additionally, blood work will be necessary to ensure that you are maintaining an adequate nutritional status. After the first year, follow up on an annual basis is necessary to ensure that these levels are maintained appropriately. Follow up for the adjustable gastric band is more rigorous and occurs on a monthly basis to determine the appropriate band adjustment for each patient. Once the appropriate adjustment has been reached, follow up occurs on an annual basis to ensure that there are no complications with the band and that appropriate nutrition is maintained.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Procedures and Surgeries

Is Weight Loss Surgery Right for You?
Is Weight Loss Surgery Right for You?
Many people view weight loss surgery the way they view steroids in sports: They think it's cheating, it's unnatural, it's an unfair advantage, it's cu...
What are the weight-loss surgery guidelines for adolescents?
Joanna Yeh, MDJoanna Yeh, MD
Weight-loss (bariatric) surgery guidelines for adolescents include having a body mass index (BMI) of...
4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery
4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery
Find out what to expect from bariatric surgery, including gastric bypass, lap band, sleeve gastrectomy and intragastric balloon, if you just can’t los...
Am I a Candidate for Weight Loss Surgery?