How should I follow up with my doctor after bariatric surgery?

Follow up after bariatric surgery is important and should not be disregarded. Early on after surgery, your surgeon will want to see you to ensure that your recovery is going well. After the initial recovery period, follow up for the gastric bypass and sleeve will be necessary every few months to ensure that you are progressing well. Additionally, blood work will be necessary to ensure that you are maintaining an adequate nutritional status. After the first year, follow up on an annual basis is necessary to ensure that these levels are maintained appropriately. Follow up for the adjustable gastric band is more rigorous and occurs on a monthly basis to determine the appropriate band adjustment for each patient. Once the appropriate adjustment has been reached, follow up occurs on an annual basis to ensure that there are no complications with the band and that appropriate nutrition is maintained.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Procedures and Surgeries

Weight Loss Procedures and Surgeries

Weight Loss Procedures and Surgeries

Weight loss surgery procedures, including liposuction, gastric bypass, gastric botox and Lap Band surgery are viable options for those needing help with excessive weight loss. But they aren't without their risks. Weight loss surge...

ry procedures should only be performed on individuals for whom regular diet, exercise and medication didn't prove effective. Check out the answers below for more information on how weight loss surgery has advanced over time and which one might be best for you.