Must I meet the minimum requirements to qualify for weight-loss surgery?

Yes. There are minimum standards for a person to be considered for weight-loss surgery at South Miami Hospital’s Weight-loss Surgery Program. These guidelines were set by the National Institutes of Health in 1991. Actually, most people who are 75 pounds overweight do not seek out surgery. The average patient who comes to us is well above minimum requirements for BMI (body mass index) and weight. These patients realize that they are unhealthy, and they want to do something about it.
Multiple studies have shown that the life expectancy of an obese person will be shortened by eight to 13 years. Obesity is linked to 300,000 deaths in the U.S. each year.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Procedures and Surgeries

How Life Changes After Weight Loss Surgery
A growing number of Americans who are obese and not able to lose weight through diet and exercise alone are choosing to undergo weight loss surgery, s...
Why was I referred for bariatric surgery?
Dr. Aaron D. Carr, MDDr. Aaron D. Carr, MD
Your primary care doctor has referred you for bariatric surgery to improve your overall health and i...
Dispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery Myths
Dispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery MythsDispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery MythsDispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery MythsDispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery Myths
We're separating fact from fable when it comes to bariatric surgery.
Am I a Candidate for Weight Loss Surgery?