What are the most common types of bariatric surgery?

The two most common bariatric surgeries are gastric bypass and gastric sleeve.

The two most common types of bariatric surgery are gastric sleeve and gastric bypass. The laparoscopic gastric band, once very popular, has now been proven not to be the most effective. The gastric sleeve starts with stapling and removal of 70 percent of the stomach. The gastric bypass involves creating a small stomach pouch along with a bypass of the small intestine.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Procedures and Surgeries

Is Weight Loss Surgery Right for You?
Is Weight Loss Surgery Right for You?
Many people view weight loss surgery the way they view steroids in sports: They think it's cheating, it's unnatural, it's an unfair advantage, it's cu...
What can I do to increase weight loss after bariatric surgery?
St. Mark's HospitalSt. Mark's Hospital
You should start by following the diet prescribed by your bariatric care team. Exercise is just as i...
4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery
4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery
Find out what to expect from bariatric surgery, including gastric bypass, lap band, sleeve gastrectomy and intragastric balloon, if you just can’t los...
Am I a Candidate for Weight Loss Surgery?