What is minimally invasive bariatric surgery?

Minimally invasive bariatric surgery is surgery that does not require the abdominal cavity to be open. Examples of this type of bariatric surgery are the lap band which is done as an outpatient and band adjustments are made easily in the office. The lap band requires "fills" as the stomach adjusts to what you eat.

The gastric sleeve is a second example of this minimally invasive procedure. It is also done as an outpatient and restricts the stomach. The gastric sleeve does not change digestion.

At present, both procedures are covered by Medicare.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Procedures and Surgeries

How Life Changes After Weight Loss Surgery
A growing number of Americans who are obese and not able to lose weight through diet and exercise alone are choosing to undergo weight loss surgery, s...
Why have I regained the weight I lost after bariatric surgery?
Dr. Michael A. Snyder, MDDr. Michael A. Snyder, MD
Bariatric surgery is a tool that can help you lose weight; but if you don't use that tool effectivel...
4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery
4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery
Find out what to expect from bariatric surgery, including gastric bypass, lap band, sleeve gastrectomy and intragastric balloon, if you just can’t los...
Am I a Candidate for Weight Loss Surgery?