Will Medicare reimburse me for bariatric surgery?

In order for Medicare to reimburse the cost of weight loss surgery, surgical centers need to be certified by either the ASBS (American Society of Bariatric Surgery) or the ACS (American College of Surgeons). Medicare recently has agreed to pay for bariatric procedures even if another co-morbidity (another health problem, such as diabetes) was not found. This could change the reimbursement landscape for growing procedures, like gastric banding—which are sometimes offered to less heavy patients (those with a BMI of 30 and at least one co-morbidity.
You, on a Diet: The Owner's Manual for Waist Management

Drs Michael F. Roizen and Mehmet C. Oz, authors of the million-copy bestseller 'YOU: The Owner's Manual', have devised a diet that is so effective you'll notice changes in your body immediately....

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Procedures and Surgeries

How Life Changes After Weight Loss Surgery
A growing number of Americans who are obese and not able to lose weight through diet and exercise alone are choosing to undergo weight loss surgery, s...
Who is a good candidate for the balloon procedure for weight loss?
Michael A. Snyder, MDMichael A. Snyder, MD
Good candidates for the balloon procedure for weight loss are those who have a BMI of 30-40, or thos...
Dispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery Myths
Dispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery MythsDispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery MythsDispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery MythsDispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery Myths
We're separating fact from fable when it comes to bariatric surgery.
Am I a Candidate for Weight Loss Surgery?