What are the long-term effects of weight loss surgery?

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
Some of the long term effects of weight loss surgery include improvement in serious medical conditions. Diabetes may be greatly controlled and insulin levels reduced or completely discontinued. High blood pressure may improve lower your dose or also discontinuing the medication. Hypercholesterolemia may be improved and sleep apnea may be completely reversed and normalized. Finally gastroesophageal reflux may be reduced and may decrease incidence of gastritis, ulcerations and esophagitis.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Procedures and Surgeries

Is Weight Loss Surgery Right for You?
Is Weight Loss Surgery Right for You?
Many people view weight loss surgery the way they view steroids in sports: They think it's cheating, it's unnatural, it's an unfair advantage, it's cu...
How long does it take for a person to get approved for weight loss surgery?
The amount of time it takes for a person to get aproved for weight loss surgery can depend mostly on...
4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery
4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery
Find out what to expect from bariatric surgery, including gastric bypass, lap band, sleeve gastrectomy and intragastric balloon, if you just can’t los...
Am I a Candidate for Weight Loss Surgery?