Is bariatric surgery safe if I have fatty liver disease?

Fatty liver occurs in obesity. Weight loss improves fatty liver in most cases. Most surgeons ask patients to be on a preoperative liquid diet to help shrink the fatty liver and for weight loss. This makes the visualization of the structures better and allows the patients to be more mobile after surgery. Bariatric surgery is safely done routinely in patients with fatty liver. 

About 90% of people who undergo bariatric surgery have some fatty liver disease. However, the surgery is not safe for everyone who has this condition. Some people, in addition to having excess fat in their livers also have scarred liver tissue, which put them at increased risk of problems from bariatric surgery. Talk to your own doctor about your fatty liver disease and whether bariatric surgery is safe and recommended for you.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Procedures and Surgeries

The Bonus Benefits of Bariatric Surgery
The Bonus Benefits of Bariatric Surgery
During the Gold Rush of the 1840s and 50s pioneers in wagon trains littered the Oregon Trail, especially in western Kansas and Colorado, with clothes,...
What happens if a weight loss surgery is not successful?
Rose Medical CenterRose Medical Center
If your weight loss surgery is not successful, consider "rebooting." Your procedure might no longer ...
Dispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery Myths
Dispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery MythsDispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery MythsDispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery MythsDispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery Myths
We're separating fact from fable when it comes to bariatric surgery.
Am I a Candidate for Weight Loss Surgery?