What can I do to increase weight loss after bariatric surgery?

You should start by following the diet prescribed by your bariatric care team. Exercise is just as important. Start your program as soon as possible.. In addition to preventing complications after surgery, it will help you lose weight. Start by walking short distances and increase the length and speed every day. You will want to walk every 1-2 hours after surgery for at least the first month. Do not perform any stomach exercises, weightlifting or swimming for at least four to six weeks. If you begin to have pain, stop what you're doing and rest.

Other ways to increase weight loss after bariatric surgery are:

• Stay hydrated. Drinking water can help prevent you from mistaking thirst for hunger (and keep you in check with your diet).
  • Eat protein. Focus on eating protein from foods to help you stay satisfied. If you aren’t getting enough protein, you may start to feel hungry.
  • Schedule an appointment with your surgeon and/or dietitian to receive personal guidance to lose additional weight.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Procedures and Surgeries

The Bonus Benefits of Bariatric Surgery
The Bonus Benefits of Bariatric Surgery
During the Gold Rush of the 1840s and 50s pioneers in wagon trains littered the Oregon Trail, especially in western Kansas and Colorado, with clothes,...
How long does it take for a person to get approved for weight loss surgery?
The amount of time it takes for a person to get aproved for weight loss surgery can depend mostly on...
4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery
4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery
Find out what to expect from bariatric surgery, including gastric bypass, lap band, sleeve gastrectomy and intragastric balloon, if you just can’t los...
Am I a Candidate for Weight Loss Surgery?