What can I do to increase weight loss after bariatric surgery?

You should start by following the diet prescribed by your bariatric care team. Exercise is just as important. Start your program as soon as possible.. In addition to preventing complications after surgery, it will help you lose weight. Start by walking short distances and increase the length and speed every day. You will want to walk every 1-2 hours after surgery for at least the first month. Do not perform any stomach exercises, weightlifting or swimming for at least four to six weeks. If you begin to have pain, stop what you're doing and rest.

Other ways to increase weight loss after bariatric surgery are:

• Stay hydrated. Drinking water can help prevent you from mistaking thirst for hunger (and keep you in check with your diet).
  • Eat protein. Focus on eating protein from foods to help you stay satisfied. If you aren’t getting enough protein, you may start to feel hungry.
  • Schedule an appointment with your surgeon and/or dietitian to receive personal guidance to lose additional weight.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Procedures and Surgeries

The Bonus Benefits of Bariatric Surgery
The Bonus Benefits of Bariatric Surgery
During the Gold Rush of the 1840s and 50s pioneers in wagon trains littered the Oregon Trail, especially in western Kansas and Colorado, with clothes,...
What is the average weight of patients undergoing bariatric surgery?
Presbyterian/St. Luke's Medical CenterPresbyterian/St. Luke's Medical Center
The average patient undergoing weight loss surgery is 100 or more pounds over weight.
Dispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery Myths
Dispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery MythsDispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery MythsDispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery MythsDispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery Myths
We're separating fact from fable when it comes to bariatric surgery.
Am I a Candidate for Weight Loss Surgery?