How can weight gain after bariatric surgery be treated?

Some people gain back the weight they lost with bariatric surgery. If this happens, a doctor can treat it with endoscopic bariatric revision surgery. If your pouch or stoma needs repair, the doctor will pass a tube through the mouth to perform the procedure. You can usually go home the same day. The recovery time is fast.

You can try changing your diet and exercise routine if you gain back weight after bariatric surgery. If that doesn’t work, revision surgery, an invasive stomach operation to redo the gastric bypass, can also be done. It works for people who have regained a lot of weight, although it's high risk and it is more challenging for the surgeon the second time. And, many people don't want to go through another surgery after having gone through the first one.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Procedures and Surgeries

Bariatric Surgery Doubles Older Guys Survival Rates
Since Governor Chris Christie of New Jersey shut down his internal food lane with bariatric lap-band surgery, his actual...
What should I know before getting gastric sleeve surgery?
Marina S. Kurian, MDMarina S. Kurian, MD
Before gastric sleeve surgery, patients are informed of the risks and benefits, and told of the shor...
Dispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery Myths
Dispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery MythsDispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery MythsDispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery MythsDispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery Myths
We're separating fact from fable when it comes to bariatric surgery.
Am I a Candidate for Weight Loss Surgery?