How can I treat gas after having weight loss surgery?

There are different types of gas that you may experience after weight loss surgery.

Carbon dioxide gas, which the surgeon uses during weight loss surgery, can get trapped in the body. Sometimes this can be felt as a “gas pain” in the shoulders. The best thing you can do for this gas is move. Walking and movement will help the intestines wake up and move the gas out of the body.

If the food you are eating is producing intestinal gas, avoid gas-producing foods like broccoli, cabbage and cucumbers. Drink plenty of water and, again, move.

If you have had a duodenal switch, your diet will significantly impact the amount of intestinal gas. Following your surgeon’s low-fat, high-protein diet recommendations will help.

If you find that you continue to struggle with intestinal gas, you may want to consider a probiotic to promote healthy bacteria in your intestines. Talk with your surgeon if you continue to find this to be a problem.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Procedures and Surgeries

How Life Changes After Weight Loss Surgery
A growing number of Americans who are obese and not able to lose weight through diet and exercise alone are choosing to undergo weight loss surgery, s...
What are the most common types of bariatric surgery?
Methodist Specialty and Transplant HospitalMethodist Specialty and Transplant Hospital
The two most common bariatric surgeries are gastric bypass and gastric sleeve.
4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery
4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery
Find out what to expect from bariatric surgery, including gastric bypass, lap band, sleeve gastrectomy and intragastric balloon, if you just can’t los...
Am I a Candidate for Weight Loss Surgery?