How soon should I exercise after my weight loss (bariatric) surgery?

You should get out of bed and start walking as soon as possible after surgery. We recommend that you exercise every day. Whether you have surgery or not, exercise is important to overall health. The more you exercise, the healthier you will be and the more weight you will lose. Since walking greatly accelerates weight loss, specifically fat loss, we suggest you walk every day. We recommend walking 30 minutes per day to start, and increasing the amount of time to 45 minutes to one hour to maintain lost weight.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Procedures and Surgeries

How Life Changes After Weight Loss Surgery
A growing number of Americans who are obese and not able to lose weight through diet and exercise alone are choosing to undergo weight loss surgery, s...
What is the recovery time from weight loss surgery for teens?
Sunrise Children's HospitalSunrise Children's Hospital
The recovery for a child who has undergone weight loss surgery is five to seven days in the hospital...
4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery
4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery
Find out what to expect from bariatric surgery, including gastric bypass, lap band, sleeve gastrectomy and intragastric balloon, if you just can’t los...
Am I a Candidate for Weight Loss Surgery?