How soon should I exercise after my weight loss (bariatric) surgery?

You should get out of bed and start walking as soon as possible after surgery. We recommend that you exercise every day. Whether you have surgery or not, exercise is important to overall health. The more you exercise, the healthier you will be and the more weight you will lose. Since walking greatly accelerates weight loss, specifically fat loss, we suggest you walk every day. We recommend walking 30 minutes per day to start, and increasing the amount of time to 45 minutes to one hour to maintain lost weight.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Procedures and Surgeries

Is Weight Loss Surgery Right for You?
Is Weight Loss Surgery Right for You?
Many people view weight loss surgery the way they view steroids in sports: They think it's cheating, it's unnatural, it's an unfair advantage, it's cu...
What are the different kinds of bariatric surgery?
Dr. Aaron D. Carr, MDDr. Aaron D. Carr, MD
The two most common bariatric operations in the United States are the laparoscopic vertical sleeve g...
Dispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery Myths
Dispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery MythsDispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery MythsDispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery MythsDispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery Myths
We're separating fact from fable when it comes to bariatric surgery.
Am I a Candidate for Weight Loss Surgery?