What activities can I do after bariatric surgery?

Paul R. Kemmeter, MD
Surgery
After bariatric surgery, begin walking five to 10 minutes each hour at a minimum. Increase walking time and distance each day and avoid a pace that causes significant pain or fatigue. It is very important to walk immediately after surgery to prevent blood clots. A nurse will likely come get you and take you on short walks as soon as a few hours after your surgery.

There are no lifting restrictions if you had a laparoscopic procedure unless you had a hiatal hernia repair; in that case, no lifting more than 15 pounds for four weeks.

You may resume sexual activity when you are comfortable, usually after two to three weeks. Female patients should avoid pregnancy for 12 to 18 months.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified healthcare provider.
In the post operative period, especially while using any pain medication, we recommend that you do not drive. Depending on how well you are recovering from your surgery, lifting may or may not be restricted. Certainly for the first two weeks most patients are not comfortable enough to do any heavy lifting. After that, if all is going well, you can lift as tolerated.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Procedures and Surgeries

Bariatric Surgery Doubles Older Guys Survival Rates
Since Governor Chris Christie of New Jersey shut down his internal food lane with bariatric lap-band surgery, his actual...
What results can I expect from the balloon procedure for weight loss?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
The average weight loss for people with the intragastric balloon is about 14.7 kg, so about 20 to 30...
Dispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery Myths
Dispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery MythsDispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery MythsDispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery MythsDispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery Myths
We're separating fact from fable when it comes to bariatric surgery.
Am I a Candidate for Weight Loss Surgery?