How is the gastric balloon different from other weight loss surgeries?

The gastric balloon procedure is geared for those with a lower body mass index (30-40) that don’t have to have a life-threatening weight-related illness, like diabetes. It’s ideal for a lower weight, less sick population, but it is a temporary procedure. According to surveys from around the world, we know that people’s perceptions of their weight are not accurate. Most people underestimate their weight significantly and discount the degree to which their weight affects their health. Most people don’t think they need to have “drastic” surgery, even though they might qualify for weight-loss surgery. However, these people are much more receptive to temporary intervention like the balloon.  We refer to the balloon procedure as a bridge therapy—a bridge from diet and exercise and an intermediate option between surgery and a diet.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Procedures and Surgeries

The Bonus Benefits of Bariatric Surgery
The Bonus Benefits of Bariatric Surgery
During the Gold Rush of the 1840s and 50s pioneers in wagon trains littered the Oregon Trail, especially in western Kansas and Colorado, with clothes,...
What results can I expect from an ESG weight loss procedure?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
ESG will help you feel full longer, eat less and lose weight. Your weight loss will be about 20 kg, ...
4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery
4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery
Find out what to expect from bariatric surgery, including gastric bypass, lap band, sleeve gastrectomy and intragastric balloon, if you just can’t los...
Am I a Candidate for Weight Loss Surgery?