How much can weight loss surgery improve my health?

The degree of improvement of various obesity-related problems after weight loss surgery depends on the extent of the illness and the length of time the patient has had it. The longer the patient has had the condition, the less likely it is for it to completely resolve after bariatric surgery. In general, more than half of the surgery patients find an improvement of their high blood pressure associated with diabetes. Nearly 80% of non-insulin dependent diabetes is controlled without medication after surgery. Obesity-related respiratory problems, including sleep apnea and shortness of breath with minimal exercise, will become asymptomatic, improve or completely resolve. Joint and back pain associated with obesity, urinary incontinence, venous problems in the legs, acid reflux, menstrual irregularity, and certain types of headaches are also improved with weight loss after surgery.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Procedures and Surgeries

Bariatric Surgery Doubles Older Guys Survival Rates
Since Governor Chris Christie of New Jersey shut down his internal food lane with bariatric lap-band surgery, his actual...
Will I need a tummy tuck after weight loss surgery to fix loose skin?
Nicole M. Fearing, MDNicole M. Fearing, MD
Everyone has loose skin after surgery. There will be different degrees of it, depending on your gene...
Dispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery Myths
Dispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery MythsDispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery MythsDispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery MythsDispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery Myths
We're separating fact from fable when it comes to bariatric surgery.
Am I a Candidate for Weight Loss Surgery?