Do heart disease and blood pressure improve after weight loss surgery?

Judy Caplan
Assuming that bariatric surgery is successful in causing significant weight loss, it usually leads to marked improvement not only in hypertension, but also in cholesterol lowering and in diabetes. This is clearly helpful in reducing the risk of the development of heart disease. The weight loss may also reduce the stress on the heart and thereby lessen the symptoms of established heart disease. In many situations reversal of established blockages may even occur.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Procedures and Surgeries

Is Weight Loss Surgery Right for You?
Is Weight Loss Surgery Right for You?
Many people view weight loss surgery the way they view steroids in sports: They think it's cheating, it's unnatural, it's an unfair advantage, it's cu...
What are the different types of weight loss surgeries?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
A number of surgeries are available to people who wish to lose weight. The laparoscopic adjustable ...
4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery
4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery
Find out what to expect from bariatric surgery, including gastric bypass, lap band, sleeve gastrectomy and intragastric balloon, if you just can’t los...
Am I a Candidate for Weight Loss Surgery?