Are endoscopic treatments better than bariatric surgery for weight loss?

Endoscopic treatments and bariatric surgery are complementary. They are both pieces of the puzzle. What is attractive about endoscopic treatments is that they can be done as an outpatient procedure; it is not actual surgery. There is no recovery time and everything is done through the mouth.

The procedure is done within an hour and  then you can go home. It is much more convenient for patients. It is very safe, because nothing is being cut open. It becomes very attractive because it can be performed on many more people. The endoscopic approach can help patients lose weight at lower BMIs, and it's very safe in terms of a procedure.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Procedures and Surgeries

Bariatric Surgery Doubles Older Guys Survival Rates
Since Governor Chris Christie of New Jersey shut down his internal food lane with bariatric lap-band surgery, his actual...
What medications can I take after bariatric surgery?
Derek T. Nagle, MDDerek T. Nagle, MD
After bariatric surgery, you will get a list from your doctor of which home medications to continue....
4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery
4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery
Find out what to expect from bariatric surgery, including gastric bypass, lap band, sleeve gastrectomy and intragastric balloon, if you just can’t los...
Am I a Candidate for Weight Loss Surgery?