Do the benefits of weight loss surgery outweigh the risks?

With obesity dangers such as cancer, diabetes, heart disease and stroke, it is clear that the benefits of weight loss surgery outweigh the risks, says Robin Miller, MD. Watch this video to learn more.

Weight loss operations are quite safe. We've studied this now over several decades—and they have very safe outcomes. If you look at what these operations can achieve with respect to reversing diabetes, high blood pressure, hypercholesterolemia, or high cholesterol, there is almost nothing else in medicine that rivals that effectiveness, including all the medications that you can take.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Procedures and Surgeries

Is Weight Loss Surgery Right for You?
Is Weight Loss Surgery Right for You?
Many people view weight loss surgery the way they view steroids in sports: They think it's cheating, it's unnatural, it's an unfair advantage, it's cu...
What does it feel like to have a balloon in the stomach?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
If you get a balloon placed in your stomach and then fill it up, you are going to be a little uncomf...
Dispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery Myths
Dispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery MythsDispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery MythsDispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery MythsDispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery Myths
We're separating fact from fable when it comes to bariatric surgery.
Am I a Candidate for Weight Loss Surgery?