Can bariatric (weight-loss) surgery fail?

Bariatric surgery can fail. About 1 in 5 to 1 in 3 people will remain obese after having weight loss surgery.

A 2006 study found that up to a third of people who had gastric bypass surgery didn't lose adequate weight after their operation. This means their body mass index (BMI) may have gone down from 50, but it never dropped below 35 or even 30. 

It's not totally clear why this happens. There are many factors associated with it. It's important to know that the surgery doesn't always work. Even if it does, you can gain the weight back.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Procedures and Surgeries

The Bonus Benefits of Bariatric Surgery
The Bonus Benefits of Bariatric Surgery
During the Gold Rush of the 1840s and 50s pioneers in wagon trains littered the Oregon Trail, especially in western Kansas and Colorado, with clothes,...
Other than weight loss what is an additional benefit of bariatric surgery?
Parham Doctors' Hospital - HCA VirginiaParham Doctors' Hospital - HCA Virginia
The benefits of bariatric (weight-loss) surgery are many, and research continues to reveal more posi...
Dispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery Myths
Dispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery MythsDispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery MythsDispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery MythsDispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery Myths
We're separating fact from fable when it comes to bariatric surgery.
Am I a Candidate for Weight Loss Surgery?