What type of bowel movements should I expect after bariatric surgery?

If you had a band, sleeve or gastric bypass procedure, you may be more likely to experience constipation following a bariatric surgery. Less food in equals less food out. Drink enough water to stay hydrated, eat your vegetables (fiber) and exercise to help you stay more regular.

After a duodenal switch procedure, you will be more likely to have more frequent bowel movements and diarrhea. These symptoms will become worse if you eat foods high in fat.
Tonya Bolden
Alternative & Complementary Medicine
Ideally, we should have a bowel movement two to three times a day. Movements should occur shortly after we have eaten a meal. There should be no straining. When your stool floats, you have been doing well. Your stool should not be runny like diarrhea or in clumps and lumps but loose and floating. It should smell like what you have ingested.
Half the Mother, Twice the Love: My Journey to Better Health with Diabetes

As a talk-show host and inspirational speaker, Mother Love used to have to just grin and bear it -- all that extra weight and the poor health that went along with it. Today she can truly smile as she...

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Procedures and Surgeries

The Bonus Benefits of Bariatric Surgery
The Bonus Benefits of Bariatric Surgery
During the Gold Rush of the 1840s and 50s pioneers in wagon trains littered the Oregon Trail, especially in western Kansas and Colorado, with clothes,...
How can I prevent weight regain after bariatric surgery?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
One way to prevent weight regain after bariatric surgery is to meet with support groups in your comm...
Dispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery Myths
Dispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery MythsDispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery MythsDispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery MythsDispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery Myths
We're separating fact from fable when it comes to bariatric surgery.
Am I a Candidate for Weight Loss Surgery?