Will my body show signs of my weight loss after bariatric surgery?

The body’s response to weight loss is variable and dependent on the elasticity of your skin. Some patients show very little change after weight loss, others have skin that is loose and are candidates for body lifts or body contouring. Your surgeon can help guide you as to how to proceed once you have lost the majority of your weight
Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
Your body will absolutely show signs of weight loss with increased skin laxity. Areas of sagging and lax skin include the breast, abdomen, arms and thighs. Surgeries may include breast lift (with or without breast implants), panniculectomy or tummy tucks, brachioplasties (arm lift), and thigh lifts. After massive weight loss, it is common for the skin NOT to re-tighten and leave the patient needing post-bariatric plastic surgery for skin laxity.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Procedures and Surgeries

Weight Loss Procedures and Surgeries

Weight Loss Procedures and Surgeries

Weight loss surgery procedures, including liposuction, gastric bypass, gastric botox and Lap Band surgery are viable options for those needing help with excessive weight loss. But they aren't without their risks. Weight loss surge...

ry procedures should only be performed on individuals for whom regular diet, exercise and medication didn't prove effective. Check out the answers below for more information on how weight loss surgery has advanced over time and which one might be best for you.