If I have bariatric surgery, how quickly will I see weight loss?

Typically, weight loss begins almost immediately after bariatric surgery. Patients who have had gastric sleeve or gastric bypass surgery can lose 30 to 40 pounds in the first month. The weight loss begins to taper off about nine months to one year after the surgery. However, a patient can continue to lose weight through good eating habits and exercise.
The weight-loss process with the gastric band is a bit different. Because the band is adjustable, it can continue to be tightened after the initial surgery. Weight loss after gastric band surgery can continue for more than two years, depending on the band adjustment pattern and the patient’s lifestyle, including eating habits and exercise routine, after surgery.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Procedures and Surgeries

Weight Loss Procedures and Surgeries

Weight Loss Procedures and Surgeries

Weight loss surgery procedures, including liposuction, gastric bypass, gastric botox and Lap Band surgery are viable options for those needing help with excessive weight loss. But they aren't without their risks. Weight loss surge...

ry procedures should only be performed on individuals for whom regular diet, exercise and medication didn't prove effective. Check out the answers below for more information on how weight loss surgery has advanced over time and which one might be best for you.