Will I gain weight if I eat at night?

Judy Caplan
Maybe yes, maybe no. It depends on how many calories you eat throughout the day and how active you are. It also depends on your food choices. Are you eating dinner late? Or are you eating ice cream after dinner leading to consumption of extra, empty calories. Generally it is not good to go to bed on a full stomach. You are more prone to heart burn and gas. However, I don't buy the rule never to eat after 6 pm.
Jim White

During the night is when our bodies utilize the least amount of energy, therefore, it does not need the same amount of calories as it does during the day. Eating a meal at night leaves the body with an excess of calories which if not utilized will be stored as fat, thus causing you to gain weight. If you must eat at night it is best to do so 2-3 hours prior to your bedtime.

Not necessarily. If you eat the same amount of calories throughout the day, or late in the day, this will not have a significant impact on weight loss. However, if you starve yourself all day long, there’s a strong likelihood that you will overeat, or make poor choices when you finally do eat. Research shows that eating throughout the day helps people lose weight because it prevents them from getting too hungry.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Strategies

how can standing help reduce my waist size ?
It's fast, it's easy and it's free. To shave as much as one and a half inches from your waist, j...
where should i eat if i want to lose weight ?
Troy Taylor, NASM Elite TrainerTroy Taylor, NASM Elite Trainer
The great news is you can now eat at a lot of restaurants. If you have a good understanding about th...
What the simplest thing i can do to lose weight ?
James Conroy , NASM Elite TrainerJames Conroy , NASM Elite Trainer
I have always believed that you should beware of problems that only have one simple solution; they a...
how should i record what i eat if i want to lose weight ?
Manuel VillacortaManuel Villacorta
Daily record keeping is the best way to see if you're meeting your weight loss goals and staying wit...