Why should I avoid thinking of food as a reward if I want to lose weight?

Laura Katleman-Prue
Thinking of food as a reward is only a problem if you reward yourself too much. When there's no parent there to say, "Hey, honey, you've had enough cookies," the ego's Child (pleasure-seeking impulses) says, "Whoopee! There's nobody here to stop me, so I can have as many cookies as I want." But every Child needs a parent.

Just because you're grown and there isn't an adult telling you when to stop doesn't mean you can eat whatever you want and not pay a price. If you want to permanently solve your weight and food issues, you need to develop the adult inside of you, or that Child's just going to keep chasing after the treats.
Skinny Thinking: Five Revolutionary Steps to Permanently Heal Your Relationship With Food, Weight, and Your Body

READY TO END YOUR FOOD and WEIGHT WORRIES? If so, Skinny Thinking is for you. The only way to create a healthy relationship with food and stop battling with your weight is to change the way you think...

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Strategies

5 Tricks to Fight Food Cravings
5 Tricks to Fight Food Cravings
We know weight loss isn't as simple as "eat less and exercise more." (If it were, you wouldn't be reading this, and we wouldn't have written YOU: On a...
What should I do if I want to eat until full and still lose weight?
Scientists who study the body's feeling of fullness (satiety) have shown that foods with high concen...
How can I lose weight safely if I am an older adult?
Audrey K. Chun, MDAudrey K. Chun, MD
If your health would benefit from shedding some pounds, make it your goal to eat better while ea...
What Herbs Can Promote Weight Loss?
What Herbs Can Promote Weight Loss?