What steps should I take to help me lose weight?

Losing weight can seem overwhelming at the beginning and can be even more daunting if a person has a lot to lose. The issue though is actually quite simple. Think of body fat as a savings account and you simply get to go blow some savings. Start by determining how many calories you need to eat on a daily basis to maintain your weight. Subtract 20% from this number or 500 calories whichever number is higher and start eating that many calories daily. Combine this with a sensible exercise program and then it is just a matter of how much weight do you want to lose. It is actually as simple as that. You can lose from 1lb to 200lb. depending on the person using this exact principle with some slight modifications as you go. 

Joanne Duncan-Carnesciali, CPT,NASM Elite Trainer
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
Having a really motivating reason as to why you want to lose weight is important in reaching your goal to lose weight.  Reasons like I want to be thin, I want six-pack abs or I want to be bikini ready will only set you up for failure.

Think long and hard about what is motivating you to want to lose weight. Is it because you want to run and play with your children? Is it because you want more energy? Is it because you are sick and tired of being sick and tired.  If that is the case, write it down. Envision yourself at your ideal weight and write down how it feels to be at that weight.  Visualize what a realistic dramatic weight loss would look like. Envision yourself engaging in the behaviors that will produce your desired weight and write it down. Envision yourself making a healthy shopping list, envision yourself preparing healthy meals, envision yourself engaging in behaviors that will help you reach your goal of losing weight.

Prepare for challenges you will definitely face while climbing to the peak of healthy living so that you are prepared to surmount them. Take advantage of the Sharecare platform to socialize with like-minded individuals who have your best interest at heart and who want you to suceed.

After having done the above, write down small goals related to your weight loss vision and make a conscience habit of carrying them out on a daily basis. Afterall, it is the small consistent things that we do in pursuit of good health the result in the prize.

I do hope this is of help to you. 

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Strategies

Weight Loss Strategies

Weight Loss Strategies

Everyone has opinions on how to lose weight – everything from Pilates to supplements to sleeping sans pajamas has been touted as an effective weight loss strategy. It's all about discovering what works for you. For some people, th...

e community support found on social media or in support groups for weight loss is an effective tool, while others benefit from the tried and true method of working up a daily sweat. Whatever strategy you choose, the key is finding something that you can stick with that works for your lifestyle.