What are some easy things I can do to help me lose weight?

Here are 20 weight loss tips from the book, You: On a Diet, by Dr. Mehmet Oz and Dr. Michael Roizen:
  • Eat five or six times a day so you're never hungry (three meals and two or three snacks).
  • Close the kitchen three hours before bedtime.
  • Choose a few healthful meals each for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and stick with them. Fewer choices lessen temptation.
  • Ditto for snacks.
  • Always keep your meal/snack foods around so you're never without healthful options.
  • Stash apples, almonds, walnuts and edamame for hunger emergencies.
  • Read the ingredient lists on everything in your kitchen, fridge, desk drawer -- wherever you keep food. Throw out anything that lists added sugars and/or syrups (high-fructose corn syrup, for example), trans fats (anything that has the word "hydrogenated"), saturated fats, or non-whole-grain flours (including enriched or bleached flours) in the first five ingredients.
  • Use heart-healthy olive oil or canola oil instead of butter.
  • Use a 9-inch luncheon plate for meals. Smaller plates promote smaller portions.
  • Don't go back for seconds.
  • Don't keep platters of food on the table.
  • At restaurants, request half portions. Share the other half with a friend or ask your server to box the other half in advance to take home.
  • Or, order a healthful appetizer and soup or salad instead of an entrée.
  • Eat far more plants and fish than poultry.
  • Rarely eat red meat, and never eat cold cuts.
  • Keep portion sizes reasonable.
  • Walk. Build up to 10,000 steps daily.
  • Stretch quietly for a few minutes after walking. Stretching keeps you limber, and its meditative element helps you resist cravings.
  • Do strength training for 10 minutes three times a week (alternate days).
  • When you hit a plateau, increase strength training for several weeks and use 7-inch plates for two weeks.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Strategies

Follow the New Rules of Weight Loss
Follow the New Rules of Weight Loss
The path to your new life and your new shape really is simple. Adopt these strategies and watch your body change effortlessly. Make Your Eating Plan ...
What steps should I take to help me lose weight?
Troy Taylor, NASM Elite TrainerTroy Taylor, NASM Elite Trainer
Losing weight can seem overwhelming at the beginning and can be even more daunting if a person has a...
Why should I write down my motivations to lose weight?
Marisa MooreMarisa Moore
To achieve your wellness goals, you have to have a vision of where you want to be in the short term ...
What Herbs Can Promote Weight Loss?
What Herbs Can Promote Weight Loss?