What should I consider before joining a weight-loss support group?

Rose Reisman
The following are the pros and cons of joining a weight-loss support group:

Pros:
  • As long as the group has a healthy eating plan, it can be beneficial.
  • Being in a group where others have similar issues can be reassuring.
  • Having a motivational leader who has "been there" is inspiring.
  • Monitoring your weekly success keeps you honest and on track.
Cons:
  • Some groups who don't have speakers may indulge only in discussions where everyone complains to one another about weight loss being impossible. Avoid these groups. You'll get stuck in the merry-go-round of excuses and never lose weight.
  • Do most the members have the same goals? If you're in a group in which people are striving for perfection, this isn't the group that will be most productive for you.
Rose Reisman's Secrets for Permanent Weight Loss: With 150 Delicious and Healthy Recipes for Success

For the journey toward healthier living. Losing weight can be a constant and frustrating struggle. Rose Reisman's Permanent Weight Loss Solutions creates a blueprint for lifelong weight control that...

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Strategies

Delayed Gratification Can Help You Lose Weight
Delayed Gratification is a magazine dedicated to Slow Journalism—that is, analysis of news events delayed until after the dust has settled. The hope: ...
How can eating before I'm hungry help me lose weight?
Judy CaplanJudy Caplan
As strange as it sounds eating before you get really hungry is a good strategy for weight loss. When...
Besides BMI, what's a good way to determine my ideal weight?
Howard E. Lewine, MDHoward E. Lewine, MD
BMI is not a good indicator of ideal body weight. Actually, no single test or measurement can determ...
How Can I Lose Fat Without Surgery?
How Can I Lose Fat Without Surgery?